PD Dr. med Karen Kinkel, born in Germany in 1962, is head of woman’s imaging at the Clinique des Grangettes, a private hospital in Geneva, Switzerland since 2003 and teaching at the University of Geneva since 1999. After her medical training in Gynecology and Radiology in Paris and San Francisco she founded the female pelvis imaging section of the European Society of Urogenital Imaging. She was Editor in Chief of the journal “Imagerie de la Femme” (Elsevier) for 6 years. She publishes and teaches breast and female pelvis imaging in Europe for the last 20 years.
Clinical work address : Institut de radiologie, Clinique des Grangettes, 7, chemin des Grangettes, 1224 Chêne-Bougeries/Geneva, Switzerland, email : email@example.com
Bachelor Degree in 1981 in Frankfurt/Main, Germany
MD in Paris, France, University René Descartes in 1987
Board in Radiology in Paris, France, University René Descartes in 1992,
Fellowship in Woman’s Imaging, Necker Faculty, University of Medicine, Paris, France 1994-1996
Assistant Professor in Woman’s Imaging, UCSF, California, US 1996-1999
Chief of Woman’s Imaging, University of Geneva, Switzerland 1999-2003
PD in Radiology, University of Geneva, Switzerland 2003
2003-Present: Chief of Woman’s Imaging, Institut de Radiologie, Clinique des Grangettes, Geneva (CH) and Privatdocente (first level of University Professor) at the University of Geneva
Breast imaging including mammography, ultrasound, MR imaging of the breast, breast biopsy guided by ultrasound, mammography and MRI
Imaging of the female pelvis: ultrasound and MRI
Founder and chairwoman of the female pelvis subcommittee of the European Society of Urogenital Imaging (ESUR, from 2003-2011)
Member of the Swiss Society of Radiology, the European Society of Radiology (ESR), the European Society of Breast Imaging (EUSOBI), and the European Society for Urogenital Radiology (ESUR).
Ex Co- Editor in Chief of the French journal “Imagerie de la Femme” (Woman’s Imaging)(Elsevier).
Reviewer of the following journals: European Radiology, European Journal of Radiology
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
- Breast ultrasound: recommendations for information to women and referring physicians by the European Society of Breast imaging. Evans A, Trimboli RM, Athanasiou A Balleyguier C, Baltzer PA, Bick U, Camps Herrero J, Clauser P, Colin C, Cornford E, Fallenberg EM, Fuchsjaeger MH, Gilbert FJ, Helbich TH, Kinkel K, Heywang-Köbrunner SH, Kuhl CK, Mann RM, Martincich L, Panizza P, Pediconi F, Pijnappel RM, Pinker K, Zackrisson S, Forrai G, Sardanelli F; European Society of Breast Imaging (EUSOBI) , with language review by Europa Donna–The European Breast Cancer Coalition. Insights Imaging. 2018 Aug; 9(4):449-461. Epub 2018 Aug 9.
- Editorial: The never-ending success story of BI-RADS. Kinkel K. Diagn Interv Imaging. 2017 Mar; 98(3):177-178.
- European society of urogenital radiology (ESUR) guidelines: MR imaging of pelvic endometriosis. Bazot M, Bharwani N, Huchon C, Kinkel K, Cunha TM, Guerra A, Manganaro L, Buñesch L, Kido A, Togashi K, Thomassin-Naggara I, Rockall AG. Eur Radiol. 2016 Dec 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- ESUR recommendations for MR imaging of the sonographically indeterminate adnexal mass: an update. Forstner R, Thomassin-Naggara I, Cunha TM, Kinkel K, Masselli G, Kubik-Huch R, Spencer JA, Rockall A. Eur Radiol. 2016 Oct 21. [Epub ahead of print] Erratum in: Eur Radiol. 2016 Dec 5
- Are Second Trimester Apparent Diffusion Coefficient Values of the Short Uterine Cervix Associated with Impending Preterm Delivery? Masselli G, Perrone G, Kinkel K, Di Tola M, Laghi F, Gualdi G, Brunelli R. Radiology. 2016 Sep; 280(3):897-904.
- Intra-individual randomised comparison of gadobutrol 1.0 M versus gadobenate dimeglumine 0.5 M in patients scheduled for preoperative breast MRI. Pediconi F, Kubik-Huch R, Chilla B, Schwenke C, Kinkel K. Eur Radiol. 2013 Jan; 23 (1): 84-92
- Staging of uterine cervical cancer with MRI: guidelines of the European Society of Urogenital Radiology. Balleyguier C, Sala E, Da Cunha T, Bergman A, Brkljacic B, Danza F, Forstner R, Hamm B, Kubik-Huch R, Lopez C, Manfredi R, McHugo J, Oleaga L, Togashi K, Kinkel K. Eur Radiol. 2011 May; 21(5):1102-10. Epub 2010 Nov 10.
- ESUR guidelines: ovarian cancer staging and follow-up. Forstner R, Sala E, Kinkel K, Spencer JA. Eur Radiol. 2010 Dec; 20(12):2773-80. Epub 2010 Sep 14.
- Staging of endometrial cancer with MRI: guidelines of the European Society of Urogenital Imaging. Kinkel K, Forstner R, Danza FM, Oleaga L, Cunha TM, Bergman A, Barentsz JO, Balleyguier C, Brkljacic B, Spencer JA; European Society of Urogenital Imaging. Eur Radiol. 2009 Jul; 19(7):1565-74. Epub 2009 Feb 5.
- Breast MRI: guidelines from the European Society of Breast Imaging. Mann RM, Kuhl CK, Kinkel K, Boetes C. Eur Radiol. 2008 Jul; 18(7):1307-18. Epub 2008 Apr 4.